Ahmedabad, a vibrant city in the heart of Gujarat, India, is not only known for its rich cultural heritage and delectable cuisine but also as a hub for technological and entrepreneurial activities. With WordCamp Ahmedabad drawing a plethora of WordPress enthusiasts, developers, and bloggers to the city, it’s the perfect opportunity to explore what Ahmedabad has to offer. Here’s a guide on how to make the most of your time in Ahmedabad during the WordCamp Ahmedabad.
Exploring the Heritage
- Visit the Sabarmati Ashram: Once the residence of Mahatma Gandhi, this ashram is a peaceful retreat where you can learn about Gandhi’s life and India’s struggle for independence.
- Adalaj Stepwell: A stunning example of Indo-Islamic architecture and design, this stepwell is a must-visit for its intricate carvings and historical significance.
- Heritage Walks: The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation organizes morning heritage walks, a fantastic way to explore the old city’s lanes, temples, and markets.
- Manek Chowk Food Tour: After sundown, Manek Chowk transforms into a bustling street food market. From local Gujarati snacks like Dhokla and Khandvi to an array of Indian sweets, your taste buds are in for a treat.
- Gujarati Thali: Experience a traditional Gujarati thali at restaurants like Vishalla or Agashiye for a taste of authentic local cuisine.
Art and Culture
- Kite Museum: Unique to Ahmedabad, this museum showcases a variety of kites, emphasizing the city’s love for the Kite Festival.
- Textile Museum: Known as the Manchester of the East, Ahmedabad’s Calico Museum of Textiles is a testament to its rich textile history.
- Contemporary Art Galleries: Explore contemporary art at galleries like Amdavad ni Gufa, known for its unconventional architecture and art exhibitions.
- Law Garden Market: Famous for its evening market, you can shop for traditional Gujarati attire, handicrafts, and jewelry.
- Asopalav and Bandhej: These are some of the best places to buy authentic Gujarati sarees and ethnic wear.
Nature and Leisure
- Kankaria Lake: Spend an evening at Kankaria Lake, enjoying its well-maintained park, zoo, and fun activities like balloon rides.
- Riverfront Walk: The Sabarmati Riverfront is perfect for a relaxing evening stroll, with its well-paved walkways and view of the river.
WordCamp Networking Events
Don’t forget to participate in the various networking events and after-parties associated with WordCamp. These events provide a great opportunity to connect with fellow WordPress enthusiasts and professionals.
- Transportation: Auto-rickshaws and app-based cab services like Ola and Uber are easily available for local travel.
- Weather: Ahmedabad can be hot, so carry light cotton clothes, sunglasses, and a hat.
- Language: Gujarati is the local language, but Hindi and English are widely understood.
Ahmedabad offers a blend of history, culture, and modernity. While attending WordCamp Ahmedabad, take some time to immerse yourself in the local culture and experience the unique charm of this city. Whether you are a history buff, a foodie, or simply looking to explore, Ahmedabad has something for everyone.